Search for a new Chairperson September/October 2015
Information for prospective applicants and details of how to apply.
South Lakes Action on Climate Change (SLACC) was formed in 2007 following a lecture at the Brewery by Ricardo Navarro, Friends of the Earth International Director from El Salvador. In 2009, SLACC joined the ‘Transition Network’ (see www.transitionetwork.org for more information). We are a registered charity (No 1139474) Since then we have been involved in numerous projects in Kendal and surrounding villages which have:
- Aimed to raise awareness of climate change
- Encouraged the provision and consumption of local food
- Promoted opportunities to reduce energy use and dependence on fossil fuels. Supported the development of more sustainable transport options.
- Promoted Kendal as a “Transition Town” working towards a low carbon future.
We have approximately 80 paying members and a large supporter base of approximately 480 people. We circulate a monthly newsletter to our network.
Main Responsibilities of the Chairperson role:
Through a commitment to our purpose, aims and work, our Chairperson will be able to make a tangible difference to both the future of SLACC tt and of our local communities in Kendal and District.
The Chairperson will:
- Work with the Trustees to formulate the vision and strategy for SLACC tut
- In conjunction with other Trustees, act as a spokesperson and advocate for SLACC tt and it’s vision as appropriate.
- Chair Trustee meetings
- Ensure that the Trustees fulfil their responsibilities and comply with the requirements of the Charities Commission and other relevant legislation (eg Data Protection Act, Health and Safety, liability insurance).
It’s anticipated that the Chairperson will need to dedicate around two days a month to the role.
The Trustees meet bimonthly for up to 3 hours and also hold an Annual General meeting for members. Meetings are usually held in Kendal.
The role requires the ability and willingness to represent environmental sustainability and the organisation positively to external audiences, and a readiness to act solely in the best interests of the charity, without regard to personal interest or benefit.
The ideal candidate will have all or some of the following:
- Experience of leadership in some form.
- An interest in and knowledge of climate change and other key environmental impacts and/or the Transition Town movement
- Experience of the charitable sector
The candidate will:
- Be willing to lead in a consensual and responsive way.
- Possess tact, diplomacy and powers of persuasion
- Possess or can find out relevant knowledge
- Have the relevant skills to run a meeting well
For a conversation about the role, or to request further information, contact us at email@example.com. Applications should be made in writing, with a brief account of your interest in the role and what you would bring to SLACC tt. Please note that this a non-remunerative role.
Deadline for applications is close of play, Monday 19th October 2015